Sunday, February 2, 2014

POSSIBILITIES ARE BOUNDLESS

A Wise Woman once asked me if I knew what the worst word in the English Dictionary was?  I blushed and tentatively started, "Not the ___".  She stopped me with a look, "No, not that word and yes, that one is pretty bad, it just isn't the worse.  The worst word in the English Dictionary is the word, BUT." 

Now, she wasn't not talking about an ample bottom or anything in relation to the nasty end of a cigarette.  She was clearly talking about a simple word that can stop a sentence dead in it's tracks and then burst forward changing what was into something very different.

Consider conversations you've had or overheard:
  • You're doing a great job {{here it comes}}}, but ___________________!
  • I like what you did on that project, but ___________________!
  • I want to move back up to Novice, but _____________________!
That one word, "but" has the ability to change everything that proceeded it.  Think about all those times you've used that word and if you can't remember any then listen for it... see how it's used and when.

I'm at a yoga meditation retreat a Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health this weekend. The workshops seem to be designed specifically for me.  And like the horse crazy girl I am, all the lessons seem to point towards my riding, eventing and, yes...  work. 

I heard myself say, "the possibilities are boundless as long as I believe it to be true and act accordingly, {{{and, here it comes}}} but ______________! 

You see?  That little word broke the heart of all those possibilities.  It encourages one to list the reasons why it won't happen.  And then all reasons hold more power, more energy than the hope that came before that tiny word, "but".

A girls gotta eliminate the "buts" and replace  with a connector, the word "and".  And brings it together, solidifies the wish and makes it happen.  See for yourself:

The possibilities are boundless as long as I believe it to be true, act accordingly and, _______________!

I can feel the ending...  make it happen!   I wanna move up to Novice and, I'll make it happen!   2014 is gonna be a good year, indeed!

1 comment:

Roland Clarke said...

Having written about and watched many set out on the eventing road, I know that you have the right attitude. Go Suzanne and succeed.