Saturday, April 5, 2014

WINNING THE WHINING WAR...

Oh woe is me
It's a gray day.  The air is damp and the cold rain just adds to the bleakness.  The ground is sodden and the fields are a dull brown.  I have a cold, a sniffly, snorty, headachy cold.  And to add to the good cheer, I got the news yesterday that I lost a big sale.  Did I mention that its a gray, damp day?

It would be so easy to sink into the "Oh-woe-is-me's!"  'Cause it's so easy to drum up all that is wrong in my life and dump gasoline and then FIRE IT (the pity party) UP!  Oh yes I can...  It would be so easy... so, so easy! 

I won't!  It doesn't help!  It won't change anything AND it only brings more energy into the negative.  Did I mention that it won't change anything?

Sugar's visit to Tufts Veterinary Hospital was the right thing to do.  She is going to be fine and back to work in 2 weeks.  This GOOD news...  no, FABULOUS news.  I still have a jumping/eventing and dressage horse. She was thoroughly checked out from the tips of her nose to the end of her tail both neurologically and orthopedically. 

No gray day, no cold and no lost sale could replace the joy I have at that news...  unless, of course, I choose to...  just sayin'!

So what happened?  The vet believes that she must have had a "traumatic incident" that injured her neck (and possibly aggravated hind end issues) that caused inflammation of the branches of her spinal cord which caused the severe neurological symptoms.  My Vet's quick assessment and treatment, the subsequent rest resolved most of this problem.  There is no pinched nerve or compressed vertebrae that would cause future issues. 

Used with permission
The rest were "Sugar issues" which were most likely aggravated by the "traumatic incident".  The treatment of these issues will help her perform at her spookiest, strongest and most agile best.  So, we will either ace or fail all of our future events more dramatically and beautifully than we did in the past.

More good news...  Both Vets that treated her felt that her body tone/muscling was excellent - even and balanced and that her weight (1471) was good.  Her xrays were actually pretty good for a horse of her age and level of work.  (They did not xray her hocks.)  And, her feet were fine.

And, for the record, as "brave" and positive as I sounded through this process, I almost cried with relief when the Eventing Trainer showed up for the lameness evaluation.  And, ironically, the Bestest Eventing Buddy and Eventing Trainer were there having their horses evaluated/follow up when I arrived to pick her up.   What an awesome surprise!  Even better, we all took healthy horses home!

It is a gray day and I do have a cold...  So what?  I have a healthy, jumping horse, great friends and Da Boys who love me! 

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I'm glad that Sugar is going to be okay! It's so stressful when we don't know what's wrong with them, I don't blame you for almost crying with relief.

Amanda said...

WooHoo! So glad to hear Sugar is going to be alright!

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

That is GREAT news!!

Boss Mare Eventing said...

So happy to hear this!