Sunday, March 17, 2019

LOSS - So Many Things and So Many Changes

Its been eons since I wrote and I'm sure in blogger's-sphere, this blog is irrelevant now... And, that is ok because this post is for that what was lost and for the sense of release that comes from writing.

Maisy and her BFF 
Grief is a weird and unpredictable thing... at first it consumes you and you cannot believe that you will feel normal again.  But you do, it becomes your new normal...  and the urgencies of life begin to overwhelm the loss.  Tears flow in moments that seem odd - that song, the way the clouds look in the sky or the crushing urgency to want to fill the hole as soon as possible.  They just come..

Its almost a month since Maisy was euthanized. I was with her every step of the way from noticing the lump in her throatlatch area to diagnosis, treatment and through her nine day stay at Tufts Large Animal Medical Center.  It was me who got the call that she was deteriorating and it was me who had to authorized her euthanasia.  And although it was ultimately me, I was never alone.  Her team of folk, our Village, felt the anxiety, the fear and the loss of one of the sweetest souls we've known as intensely as I did.

Maisy and her BFF at the 
Tik Maynard Clinic
I wanted to be angry.  I wanted to find fault.  I looked for the things they did "wrong".  I obsessed over conversations had with staff when I visited.  I wondered if we did the wrong thing.  In the end, everyone did the best they could with what little was known about the condition.

Compassion is about understanding that as much as I hurt, the team at Tufts had to feel something too.  Maisy came in "healthy" and happy but never left.  They spent 9 days trying to save her life and failed.  I think my pain is easier to live with than what they must feel more often than I can imagine.  The cookies I sent were meant to release a little of what they might be feeling and to express the gratitude felt that they gave her a chance to live.

Two similar souls - Maisy and Chandler (oh and me)
I went to the barn this morning to feed the ponies.  Despite the thick layer of ice still waiting for the melt, Spring is here.  The birds serenated me with their sweet love songs.  The horses greeted me enthusiastically, eager for their breakfast.  Maisy's stall is empty and her blanket rack is filled with a myriad of choices.  I need to send them off for cleaning but for now, they hang in various stages of dirty.  I miss her whinny and her big black eyes and those long white eye lashes.

Horses are so many things to me.  And even if the tears still show up, another pony is waiting for me to call my own.  Another pony is waiting for a deep curry and a soft brushing so that their coat gleams.  Another pony is waiting to have all the adventures and he/she is eagerly waiting to be loved and cared for by the Village caring for me.

Looking for the "new normal" while appreciating all that was to be loved.  And giving gratitude for the folks who helped us cope - Maisy's trainer/rider, her long-lining/horsey yoga instructor and our fabulous vet who diagnosed the condition and stood by us rock solid.  That makes a good Sunday morning.

11 comments:

Hope said...

Thank you for writing this Suzanne! You are a very special person and I cannot imagine how hard it has been to lose two horses in the somewhat recent past. It is easy to find fault with yourself and others, but you have chosen the high road! I have lost many horses over the years for a variety of reasons and I know firsthand how hard it is! I have lost two horses because of veterinarian error! Those are the hardest, because it was totally unexpected! Forgiveness is paramount to moving on...Know that you will be ready to move on one of these days. Both Maisy and Sugar are tucked into a litlle corner of your heart! When you are ready, they will always be with you. Ride for them, Ride for yourself! Here’s to “Happy Trails” in your future!

emma said...

i'm so so sorry to read this, and so very sorry for your loss

Unknown said...

Beautifully written my friend. And speaking of which you bring up how much richer our lives are with the love of our horses and the friends that we have gained through them. Love and friends are free even if all else about having a horse may be costly. One clearly outweighs the other. May your heart heal but never forget. Hugs.

Susan Irene said...

Meant to sign that post above - Susan Irene

Sushmita said...

Beautiful!!! Honored to witness your journey, Suzanne. Touched my heart! Thank you.

L.Williams said...

*hugs*

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

I am so sorry Suzanne. You have dealt with this grief before and know how deep the well can get. I am glad Maisy got to have such a loving person in her corner that was able to step up and make the necessary decisions. Big hugs.

Amy said...

Suzanne, your bravery astounds me. To open yourself up to loving a horse again after Sugar, and to how gracefully you are coping with the loss of another special mare. And because you are still willing to confront and work through the loss while contemplating opening your heart to another 4 legged love. You have boundless love to give and it's reflected in the love that clearly comes back to you from your ponies, your barn friends, and your larger friend group and community. Hang in there, sistah. Lot's of people love and are there for you, and you've got this.

eventer79 said...

I am so sorry -- grief is both a universal & uniquely individual pain, but it is always hard & I think always confusing. Hugs from us as you mourn your girl. <3

Carly said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Edi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.