Monday, June 9, 2014

GOING UPTA CAMP!

Picture this...  It's 5:30am and the sun is starting to rise over Vermont's Green Mountains.  I grab a quick cup of coffee and set off down to the barns.  Da Boys are trotting next to me eager for the day's adventure.  Sugar greets me with a welcoming nicker knowing that we are going to watch the sunrise on our morning hack.

Later, after my second cup of steaming joe and a light breakfast, I head back to the barns to greet the arriving campers.  "Good morning children!  It's going to be a great day!"  Everyone scurries about joyfully taking care of their ponies and loving all the work to keep them well! 

The day just keeps getting better.  The sun is warm, the air is dry and the kids are off to their first mounted lesson.  I prepare for my class on grooming to win, preparing for the jog or perhaps equine first aid.  I finish the day with another great ride on a happy horse with da boys trailing about enjoying a dip or two in the stream.

Further north in VT but beautiful
much like GMHA
This fantasy sustains me!  For 12 days (7 work days), I will be in the land of no cell reception and little to no wifi = no work access at all!  And, just before I get lost in that dream, it occurs to me that, for the most part, I have a sedentary job accented by the physical nature of riding and walking the dogs.  I am so afraid that by Day Three, the Jersey Girl is going to surface and "Good morning children!"  might get a little... well, dark.

What I'll look like at the
end of the day!
Shhhh, I can not wait!  I've been a Girl Scout Leader, a basketball coach for 10 - 13 year olds.  I love it...  I love working with kids.  And, to be working with kids with their horses AND having mine there too is a priceless gift...  need I say, a dream come true! 

And, I would not be me if I didn't confess that I am a little worried.  What if I hate it?  What if the kids hate me?  What if I'm so exhausted that I don't want to ride Sugar or walk da boys?  What if I can't get coffee?  What if...

You know, I recognize that it's my nature...  Just like when I enter the ring, when I get to GMHA that first day, I will not only be ok, but I will have the time of my life!

Let the games begin!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Good luck! I'm sure you will have a good time. :)

New York Wedding Venues said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.