Monday, November 7, 2011

SISTAH FRIEND...

Yup... dat's her... I luf her!
Shhhhhh...  today's my sister's birthday!  And, I'm not sure she's gonna love this but, it is my blog and I'll write it if I want too...   Happy Birthday My Absolute Favorite Sistah!  This one is for you and all the Sistah Friends out there!

This could be one of those mushy Facebook posts where I beg you to copy it on your profile for one hour if you have a sister that you love.  It could be but ... um, I hate those things and will not do it even if you beg me.  Sorry... 

Or I could tell you of all the lovely sweet things my sister and I did as kids dressed in pink skirts with bright polka dots and black patent leather shoes.  And let's not forget those sun shiny days holding hands and skipping through rose petals on our way to a glistening pond.  But I'd be lying. 

The real story could be about the battle for identity...  The adorable red head with big blue eyes...  cute as a button and her big older sister... dark where she was light, awkward where she was gifted, plain where she was beautiful.  And me consumed with all things equine... every inch of our bedroom covered in horses.   My beloved Sistah Friend, in an effort to have a place in our room,  once stood before me, her blue eyes daring me to come closer as she clutched my favorite horse statue...  And when I accepted that dare, she calmly and defiantly smashed it to the ground.
Beauty is as beauty does...

Poor me...  Hmmmm, you know, I don't think I was so... um...  innocent.  If you ever meet, ask her about the PeeWee Herman situation.  I'm sure, after that story, you will really appreciate how deeply our bond has grown.

Her kids think we're a bit bizarre... as we giggle for the umpteenth time through Elf. And when she jumps up out of her seat to declare, "I KNOW HIM!".  I laugh like a hyena every time. And I mean, every time!

She can't pack a college apartment to save her life, yet, she forgives me for the level of intensity in which I express my impatience. Her capacity to love, to engage, to care is a gift to all that know her... her patients, her friends and her family. You see, the capacity to give love expands infinitely your ability to receive love... and for her, the glass is not just half-full, it's overflowing.

I believe that God smiled down on me that day she was born.  As the first girl in a house full of boys (4 before and two after me) she was to be my bestest Sistah Friend.  It ultimately never really mattered how awful we could be to each other, we were a united front when it came to the Boys.  And although it took 20 some odd years to get there, those moments of angry youth can never ever replace the joy of having someone so wonderful in your life today.


She is a Fall and I am a Winter
A Halloween snowstorm... priceless!
Maya Angelou once said:

I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at.

That IS a quote I could post on my profile page.  Sistah Friends can be found everywhere.  You breathe life into them and their breath keeps you alive too!  Secrets, adventures, love, laughter and yes, even tears bring us together. 

Biology...  ahhh...  don't hold your Sistah Friends to this.  Open up your heart and embrace your Sistah Friends... all of them!  They help us LIVE a good life!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I love this. It makes me appreciate and love my 2 sisters.