Friday, November 30, 2012

Carpe Diem!

Everyone has a story of the person who really made a difference in their life...  that one statement, that challenge to succeed, the guide who took us forward and maybe that person who just was... was the exact image of what we wanted.  Yes, everyone has a story that means so much to us.

Perfect pic... smiling, talking and
socializing
My dad would have been 82 tomorrow (12/1). And, if lung cancer hadn't taken him seven years ago, I'm sure he would  be still young, gently teasing and mostly smiling.  He was the essence of a Sagittarius -optimistic, freedom-loving, good-humored, honest, direct as well as intellectual and philosophical - ultimately, the life of the party.

I still miss him but, I choose to celebrate our memories rather than wear a veil of sadness...  As a dad, he was not perfect but he was awesome!

My dad lived in the moment!  He was videotaped by my niece for grade school project just 10 months before he died.  She finished the interview with this question, "Grandpop, if you could change anything in your life, what would it be?"

Happily Hunting!
He gave her a sheepish grin and then sat back and said, "Nothing!"  Then he leaned forward intensely and added, "Well, I would have loved to have been an educated man but that might have meant that I would not have met your grandmother.  I have everything I need and its been a very good ride!  No, I wouldn't change a thing!"

I am a Master (old) Rider who has spent the last two months indulging in a bit of workaholism.  Yes, Sugar has been ridden, Da Boys walked, Adventures taken and Hunts hunted...  The only thing missed is that moment where I sit back in my chair and ponder a moment and truly feel the graciousness that is my life.  And, then, thank the universe for giving me...  a very good ride!

Thanks Pop, I think I will do just that!  Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Equine Mum said...

Hey Your blog is Haynets Equestrian Blog of the Day today! Come and take a look: http://hay-net.co.uk/haynet-news/4282/equestrian-blog-of-the-day---confessions-of-an-aa-event-rider-and-convicted-over-thinker