Monday, April 4, 2011

A CAT LADY IN THE MAKING

There is this episode on CSI where the forensic team enters a home, the scene is dark (as they all are) cats are meowing all over the house, and there lies the body.  It's an old woman, decomposed and partially eaten by her now feral pets.   She's been alone... dead for days ... brought down by undiagnosed hypertension. 

Sugar lives the life of a true princess.  Her staff of one (me) attends to her every need.  Her stall is cleaned to perfection using only the finest of materials - 100% pine pellets blended carefully with fluffy shavings.  I want to be sure that her bed is soft and absorbent.  The hay has been analyzed for its nutrient content to assure that she recieves the right blend of protein and sugar. 

I seek out the best providers of care to keep her body sound, fit and strong.  Her regime involves weekly longlining (equine yoga), monthly massage, frequent acupuncture and chiropractic care.  I adhere to a schedule for routine vet and farrier care.   Her shoes are replaced every 6 weeks at $295 per visit.  Sugar wants for nothing!

Today I saw my doctor to check on a itty bitty problem...  just a teeny one... yup.  And really, it could've waited.  Really, it could've waited but I saw the doctor anyway.  It was a great idea until the doctor asked me questions...  like, when was the last time you had a mammogram, when was the last time you saw your oncologist and the questions went on...

I had no excuse, but managed to squeak out, "I take care of my horse well!?   She saw the vet just last week."  {{{{Noooo!  Really?  Really!!}}}} 

This doctor was kind... "It's been two years since your last mammogram...  It's time for you to take care of yourself as well as you take care of your horse.  THE TIME IS NOW!"

Right now, I'm not a cat owner and I live with just one dog.  If I continue to ignore my health and avoid doctors at all costs, it might just be me...  gathering strays to keep me company until one day, alone...  the CSI team pulls up to the house...

One day, I plan to treat myself as well as I treat my animals...  may that day be today...

2 comments:

MARGIE said...

Thats the good thing about having horses. They are herbavores. Ha! Thanks for reminding me of what I should do too!

Kelly said...

And I thought I was the only one!